Skip to main content

The Internal Monologue of Being Busy and How to Switch it for Good Mental Health



Happy #ReflectionFriday Everyone!!!!
This has been a really tough week for me. Since last Thursday afternoon I have been running a fever due to a bacterial infection via a cyst on my shoulder blade. I don't ever remember feeling quite so wiped out in ages. It has been a real challenge for me because I have so many things that I do each day that are really important to me like researching and writing really useful content that helps other autistics. I have barely moved from my bed except to go to the doctor, which has been 3 times this week. Ughhh. Good news is that I am on a new antibiotic and am feeling better and no fever for almost 24 hours- that means it's working. Insert happy dance here. What it also means is I have had time to think and reflect more than usual this week. This can be both a blessing and a curse in the autistic mind. You know exactly what I am talking about don't you. Yep, I knew you would get it.
As I have found reflection to be a key component to awareness, growth, choices and change I do it regularly. You probably get sick of hearing about it, lol. But seriously, it is very important to reflect because if you don't take the time to reflect and observe your behaviors and your thoughts how do you become consciously aware of what is working, not working and where you can do better?
This week I have been really excited to finally reach a point where my internal beliefs about doing work, being busy and resting were healthy and automated not a struggle with an hourly monologue reminding myself that rest is just as important as work. I was elated to realize that I didn't verbally berate myself for not feeling well and needing rest. I haven't stressed out about what I wasn't able to get accomplished because my body needed rest instead. This is HUGE for me. Maybe you can relate to the thought loop that used to go through my head when this happened in the past. I have put in a great deal of work and time focusing on helping myself get out of these limiting beliefs, feelings of guilt and shame for not measuring up to super woman in all aspects all. the. time.
What I have learned that helped get me here is that I can not compare myself to others. It never works and it always leaves me feeling inadequate. Always. What I did start to think about, rather than comparing myself to how others function in the world, was how am I doing today in this moment? Am I doing the best that I can do based on my abilities to function and operate today? This simple question has made a huge difference and has helped me get to this point today. The reflection piece is what takes that question to the next level. On Tuesday I was wiped out, but I had an important meeting at 3:30 pm that I had to attend. I was running fever and I knew it was going to take me all morning just to get showered and dressed with lots of lying down in between tasks. So, I did just that. I made my meeting dressed and ready. I think that I did pretty well in the meeting and no one knew I was feeling ill. I think back on Tuesday and that I was able to still make the meeting and was able to shower and dress for it in my own way and in my own time, it was a good thing and I will now be more willing to do it just like that in the future. It worked and the world did not end because it took me 5 hours to prepare for a one hour meeting.
Where can you reflect on your week and see what was working for you when you did something from the perspective of "I am doing my best in my way in this moment and that is good enough?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did You Even Know You Had Been "Masking" for Decades? Autistic Masking and The Picture of Dorian Gray- Reflections on Similarities

  Chances are your answer is no, just like mine was. In the novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, the main character, Dorian, lives two very different lives in physical reflection.  One life is his outer body which remains young and attractive, and the other is his portrait which ages and reflects all the external happenings instead of his actual outward appearance.  Dorian remains young and handsome on the outside, while his portrait does not. I don't compare this in the strictest sense, but rather as a way to convey how I perceive autistic masking and how it manifests in both the physical exterior and the internal worlds of an individual. I didn't even know what Autistic Masking was even after the first few years of knowing I was autistic.  It is a term that you learn and become familiar with after you get into the autistic community. The definition of "Social Masking" as it is discussed in the psychology and Autism world is: Masking  is a process in w

The Element You Are Missing When it comes to Employee Attraction & Retention- Employment Branding To Attract Neurodistinct Talent

  The Element You Are Missing When it comes to Employee Attraction & Retention- Employment Branding To Attract Neurodistinct Talent By Carole Jean Whittington   We were at dinner recently and a friend asked the group, “What do you think it’s like to work at Google?”   The replies ranged from “fun, creative, casual, cutting edge, innovative, outside the box thinking, you matter as an employee, excellent pay and inclusive.”   I think we all agreed it would be amazing to work at Google.   And since none of us at dinner that night have ever worked for Google, I think it is a great example of how powerful employment branding can be. Most of us are very familiar with product or company branding, think Nike and the swish logo and tag line “Just….” You filled in the blank with “do it” didn’t you?   The most globally recognizable company brand right now after two years of lock down is the happy image on the side of a brown box waiting on your front porch- the Smile on an Amazon bo

Thought Loops, Rumination & Worry- How to use them as a tool for Autistics with 4 tips on how to stop the thought loop

  Thought Loops, Rumination & Worry  How to use them as a tool for Autistics What is it? Mandall et al defines rumination as the "tendency to engage in sustained, repetitive thinking about negative topics." (Mandell et al., 2014, p. 35). Overall, with variations in definition in psychology research, rumination is a pattern of thinking which is most often, but not always, linked to a negative feeling, experience from the past or future feelings that are anticipated. Example: * Replaying a conversation that has happened * Scripting every scenario for a future conversation Rumination refers to thinking about events in the past . Worry refers to thinking about events in the future . Beneficial Tool vs. Harmful Behavior The harmful affects of rumination and worry can be: *Loss of sleep * Easily agitated * Increase in anxiety & depression * Impact your emotions and can change your world view along with your sense of safety. INSIGHT The brain cannot distinguish easily betwee