Skip to main content

Substance Abuse in Adult Autistics

 Substance Abuse Disorder (SUD) and Autism Spectrum Disorder(ASD)


This is a companion article to my Podcast, Mind Your Autistic Brain

to hear this episode and interview with Jordan Camp, S1 E4, visit:

https://anchor.fm/socialautie

An excerpt from an article by the Delphi Mental Health Group:


According to the Journal of Alcoholism & Drug Dependence, one study showed that almost 7 percent of individuals in treatment for SUD had been diagnosed with ASD (as compared to 1 percent of the general population).

Researchers Elizabeth Kunreuther and Ann Palmer of the University of North Carolina have also studied the correlation between ASD and SUD. Their findings report that individuals diagnosed with autism are almost twice as likely to abuse alcohol or drugs.

They’ve written a book called Drinking, Drug Use, and Addiction in the Autism Community, which explores this relationship between autism and substance abuse further.” 

Read the complete article here:

https://delphihealthgroup.com/dual-diagnosis-treatment/autism/


Hi, I’m Jordan Camp and I am 29 years old.  I was identified as autistic at an early age, but didn’t know I was Autistic until I was 15.  I’ve struggled since my teen years with drugs and alcohol.  I started using them to self medicate in order to deal with the feelings of denial about who I am.  As an autistic person I struggle with acceptance, social interactions, and a host of sensory challenges and I began using drugs and alcohol to help me deal with these struggles.  It led to over 5 years of drug and alcohol use and abuse.  I ended up in January of 2019 hitting rock bottom, feeling numb and hopeless.  Over a w day period I sank deeper and deeper and was slowly ingesting enough drugs and alcohol to end my own life by choice.  I ended up in the hospital after my parents called emergency services to save me.  This began my road to a new life.  I want to share my story with you today because I know there are so many of us out there who have been where I have been.  I want you to know you are not alone and there is better.  You are important and you have a place in this world.  Below I have shared a few identifiers, tips and places to begin recovery from my own life and perspective that have gotten me where I am today, clean and sober and living my best autistic life.  


Identifiers from Jordan's experience of someone using and abusing drugs and alcohol:


  • Compulsive behaviors

  • Manipulation

  • Personality changes-feeling like a chameleon so you blend into the world

  • Co-dependency with people and drugs

  • Habitual Lying to yourself and others


Resources:


Hotlines-https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ This service also offers text chat vs. a phone call option.  Be sure to identify yourself as an adult autistic.  The counselors are trained to help us specifically as autistics because as you know we communicate differently and our stress shows in different ways.

Alcoholics Anonymous-https://www.aa.org/

Drug and Alcohol Recovery Groups Resource Guide-https://startyourrecovery.org/treatment/support-groups

Celebrate Recovery-https://www.celebraterecovery.com/ This is a Christian based resource.

***When seeking a treatment recovery program it is essential that you tell that you are autistic and seek a treatment program that supports your treatment with your neurodiverse brain in mind with programs tailored to you.  Many programs are now aware that as autistics we have special recovery needs and have programs in place so be sure to ask and to tell.****


Top 3 Tips to Help you Each Day:


  1. Self reflection- I have quiet time.  Go over all the scenarios that could have been why they were or were not what I wanted them to be.  This happened after I got a clear head and then the reflection and quiet began.  I took 2 hour increments of rest and reflection.  

           As this evolved over time it's become part of my day.  This is where I     

           found calm and serenity.  I began to think faster and make decisions 

           from a place of clarity. 


  1. Deep breathing techniques-  Finding quiet space to allow the quiet to enter.  You can try a few from this site: https://www.verywellmind.com/abdominal-breathing-2584115


  1. Hobbies- Replace your old habits with a new and beneficial habit.  I began by focusing on what I could put in my body that was healthy and nourishing vs. my old habit of drugs and alcohol.  I no longer believed that my body was to be punished.  Drugs were only temporary and leave you with more of a void than when you began.  So I began gardening.  It gives me a way to nourish my body but my mind as well.



Things to be mindful of as you begin your recovery:



  • Admitting that you have a problem.


  • Set up your environment and structure places that support your recovery.


  • Be patient with yourself and those who are helping you.  


  • Give back to others in your community


  • Define short and long term goals


  • Make a new friend


  • One day at a time will get you through.


  • Keep a routine and set schedule


  • Take your time and allow the transition to grow.


I am here to help and would love to get to know you.  I am in the process of setting up a page where I will be sharing what I have learned and what I am learning along my recovery journey as an adult autistic.  I will also be sharing resources and encouragement to help you as you begin your recovery journey too.  We all start somewhere and it is always messy and never pretty and that’s ok.  


Contact Jordan at:

goldenautistic@outlook.com

jordan.camp991@gmail.com


Contact Social Autie:

carolejeanw@socialautie.com

@SocialAutie on Instagram


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Element You Are Missing When it comes to Employee Attraction & Retention- Employment Branding To Attract Neurodistinct Talent

  The Element You Are Missing When it comes to Employee Attraction & Retention- Employment Branding To Attract Neurodistinct Talent By Carole Jean Whittington   We were at dinner recently and a friend asked the group, “What do you think it’s like to work at Google?”   The replies ranged from “fun, creative, casual, cutting edge, innovative, outside the box thinking, you matter as an employee, excellent pay and inclusive.”   I think we all agreed it would be amazing to work at Google.   And since none of us at dinner that night have ever worked for Google, I think it is a great example of how powerful employment branding can be. Most of us are very familiar with product or company branding, think Nike and the swish logo and tag line “Just….” You filled in the blank with “do it” didn’t you?   The most globally recognizable company brand right now after two years of lock down is the happy image on the side of a brown box waiting on your front porch- the Smile on an Amazon bo

Did You Even Know You Had Been "Masking" for Decades? Autistic Masking and The Picture of Dorian Gray- Reflections on Similarities

  Chances are your answer is no, just like mine was. In the novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, the main character, Dorian, lives two very different lives in physical reflection.  One life is his outer body which remains young and attractive, and the other is his portrait which ages and reflects all the external happenings instead of his actual outward appearance.  Dorian remains young and handsome on the outside, while his portrait does not. I don't compare this in the strictest sense, but rather as a way to convey how I perceive autistic masking and how it manifests in both the physical exterior and the internal worlds of an individual. I didn't even know what Autistic Masking was even after the first few years of knowing I was autistic.  It is a term that you learn and become familiar with after you get into the autistic community. The definition of "Social Masking" as it is discussed in the psychology and Autism world is: Masking  is a process in w

Thought Loops, Rumination & Worry- How to use them as a tool for Autistics with 4 tips on how to stop the thought loop

  Thought Loops, Rumination & Worry  How to use them as a tool for Autistics What is it? Mandall et al defines rumination as the "tendency to engage in sustained, repetitive thinking about negative topics." (Mandell et al., 2014, p. 35). Overall, with variations in definition in psychology research, rumination is a pattern of thinking which is most often, but not always, linked to a negative feeling, experience from the past or future feelings that are anticipated. Example: * Replaying a conversation that has happened * Scripting every scenario for a future conversation Rumination refers to thinking about events in the past . Worry refers to thinking about events in the future . Beneficial Tool vs. Harmful Behavior The harmful affects of rumination and worry can be: *Loss of sleep * Easily agitated * Increase in anxiety & depression * Impact your emotions and can change your world view along with your sense of safety. INSIGHT The brain cannot distinguish easily betwee